Hive survey reveals we’re a nation that loves to be in control
Win time with former England rugby captain, Chris Robshaw to help bring order to your home. There's also 10 Hive Active Heating kits up for grabs. Click HERE to get started and be in with a chance of winning. You can also follow #HiveGotControl on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
A nation that loves to be in control
Hive’s family of smart home products have been designed to help you stay in control of your home. From turning the lights on to adjusting the heating, you can manage it all from your smartphone, wherever you are.
So it’s no surprise that lots of us here at Hive HQ like to keep on top of things too. But it turns out we’re not alone. A recent study we ran revealed that a whopping 87% of Brits like to be in control of every aspect of their home lives.
And there’s more good news for all of us self-confessed ‘control freaks’; eight out of ten Brits (78%) believe that having a bit of structure in your life is something to be celebrated. With the survey showing that the top three things we want control of are: the household finances (48%), the weekly food shop (44%) and the temperature of our home (35%).
Fancy getting in control of your home?
With Christmas just around the corner, even the most organised of us could do with a little extra help around the home. Our competition gives you the chance to win time with former England rugby captain, Chris Robshaw. As captain, he’s used to showing expert control and discipline on the pitch. But Chris openly admits he’s a bit of a control freak off the pitch too.
One winner will take it easy while Chris comes over, tackles the chores and passes on his winning tactics for restoring order to your home (and probably a few rugby stories too).
If you haven’t entered yet: click here for a chance to win and follow our hashtag #HiveGotControl.
Give me control
However, it wasn’t all good news from our survey, with almost two fifths (39%) of us feeling overwhelmed trying to keep on top of everything.
Here at Hive we’re all about making daily life a little bit easier. Our smart tech puts control of your home, in your hand. So it’s simple to turn things off when you don’t need them and back on when you do. It’s a time-saver as well as a great way to save energy and money.
But we’re always on the lookout for new ways to help lighten the load. So we spoke to behavioural psychologist, Jo Hemmings, for some of her top tips for restoring order in your home.
1. Feeling overwhelmed by life admin? Take a step back and work out your priorities. Break tasks down into manageable goals and congratulate yourself when they’re done.
2. Believe it or not, temperature has a big effect on mood as our cortisol levels (the stress hormone) drop when it’s warm. Manage those cold weather blues with a smart thermostat, like Hive Active Heating, which makes it easy to accurately control the temperature in your home.
3. Soft blue and green tones are known to have a relaxing effect. So use smart lights, which glow in 16 million colours, to create a calming environment at home.
4. Another great way to feel more in control is to declutter. As the saying goes, a tidy home leads to a tidy mind.
5. Don’t be afraid to delegate. Spreading the load means you can spend less time sweating about the small stuff and more time doing the things you love.
So there you have it. Not only does being in control help us stay on top of everyday household tasks, it can make us happier and healthier too.
Find out more about Hive’s smart home products at Discover Hive. And don’t forget to enter our competition over on the social pages, for your chance to get Chris Robshaw to take charge of the chores in your home. #HiveGotControl
Terms and conditions for the Control Freak Prize Draw
When entering the Prize Draw, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions (these "Terms and Conditions"). Promotional materials relating to the Prize Draw, including all information on how to enter the Prize Draw, also form part of these Terms and Conditions. In the event of any conflict between any terms referred to in such promotion materials and these Terms and Conditions, these Terms and Conditions take precedence.
This Prize Draw is promoted by Centrica Hive Limited (trading as Hive) (“Hive”) and managed by Burson Cohn & Wolfe, a division of WPP Brands (UK) Limited (company number 390845) whose registered office is at Greater London House, Hampstead Road, London NW1 7QP (“BCW”). Eligibility to enter
1. Participants must be at least 18 years old and legally reside within the United Kingdom. Employees of Centrica plc, their families, agents or anyone professionally connected with this promotion are not eligible. Hive reserves the right to require participants to prove that they are eligible to enter the Prize Draw. If the winner is found to be ineligible, Hive reserves the right to award the prize to another participant and to require the return of any prize already awarded.
How to enter & entry conditions
2. Entry to the Prize Draw is free; no purchase is necessary.
To enter the Prize Draw on Twitter, participants must use the hashtag, #HiveGotControl. Participants can enter by using the hashtag on their own post, as well as retweeting the relevant videos that incorporate the hashtag on Chris Robshaw’s Twitter handle or Hive’s Twitter handle.
To enter the Prize Draw on Facebook, participants must click on the link within the relevant social post. This will automatically enter them into the competition and share confirmation of this and further information via the Messenger App.
To enter the Prize Draw on Instagram, participants must click on the link in Chris Robshaw’s or Hive’s Instagram Bio. This will automatically enter them into the competition and share confirmation of this and further information via the Messenger app.
Entries submitted by any other means will not be accepted: only those submitted via an official method of entry will be accepted.
3. Entries are limited to one entry per Participant. Each entry should include only one Participant.
4. By entering the Prize Draw, entrants agree not to make the following comments / suggestions in their entry, including, but not limited to:
a. Defamatory, insulting, obscene, racist, sexist and homophobic comments / suggestions.
b. Speech, attacks and remarks which appear to be threatening, abusive, offensive or arousing hatred or discrimination.
c. Impersonations, illegal comments / suggestions or comments / suggestions which violate or encourage the violation of any laws or the propriety(ies) or other right(s) of any third party(ies).
d. Any language that consists of vulgar, profane, crude, violent or hostile language or swearing.
e. Any comments / suggestions that would reflect unfavourably or demonstrate contempt, or ridicule for Hive or its brand.
5. Hive reserves the right to disqualify Participants if it suspects any entry, or any previous activity by the Participant is in contravention of the above behaviours. Hive has sole and full discretion and its determination shall be final.
6. Save where it has been negligent, Hive will not be responsible for any damage, loss or injury resulting from any participant’s entry into the Prize Draw or their acceptance and/or use of the prize, or for technical, hardware or software failures, lost, faulty or unavailable network connections or difficulties of any kind that may limit or prohibit their ability to participate in the Prize Draw. Save where it has been negligent, Hive will not be responsible for any lost, damaged, defaced, incomplete, illegible or otherwise unreadable entries. Proof of posting is not proof of receipt by Hive of any entries. Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall in any way limit Hive’s liability for death or personal injury caused by its negligence or for intent.
Terms and Conditions shall in any way limit Hive’s liability for death or personal injury caused by its negligence or for intent. Promotion period, selection & reward
7. The first prize is for ex England Rugby captain, Chris Robshaw to come and spend an evening (2 hours) in the home of the winner at a mutually agreeable date between 6th - 19th January 2020. Chris will be there to talk about his weekly routine, and to give the winner advice and top tips on how they can restore order and efficiency in their home. Please note that any unreasonable requests or behaviour will not be allowed and will be at the discretion of Chris Robshaw. As part of the prize, the winner will also be given Hive Active Heating with professional installation. A further ten participants will be randomly selected as runners up and will win Hive Active Heating bundles with professional installation.
8. There is no replacement first prize or replacement timeslot available if a mutually agreeable date within the stated time period cannot be found for the prize winner and Chris Robshaw. There is no replacement prize for the ten runners up should they already have Hive Active Heating installed.
9. The first prize experience will be filmed and therefore the prize winner must give consent for their image and name to be used through Hive’s marketing materials (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter channels, website and newsletter). The prize winner must also give consent for Chris Robshaw to enter their home, accompanied by their agent and a small film crew.
10. All entries close at 10:00pm 17th December 2019. The prize winner will be contacted no later than 10pm on 20th December 2019 via a comment and private message from the Hive UK Facebook, Instagram or Twitter pages.
11. The winners will be selected by BCW, whose decision shall be final.
12. The winners of the Prize Draw will be the first eleven names chosen at random from all complete, eligible submitted entries received before the end of the applicable closing date.
13. The prize must be accepted and confirmed within 12 hours of the chosen winners being contacted. If the message is undelivered or not accepted within this timeframe, Hive reserves the right to conduct a further random draw to award the prize to another participant.
14. The prize is non-transferable and non-exchangeable, and no cash alternative is available. In the event of the prize being unavailable, Hive reserves the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
16. Although the Prize Draw may be featured on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter, the Prize Draw is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram or Twitter and you agree that Instagram, Facebook and Twitter are not liable in any way.
17. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
18. The judges' decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
19. Hive reserves the right to cancel the Prize Draw if circumstances arise outside of its control.
20. To find out more about Hive products and services, visit: https://www.hivehome.com.
21. The winner will be selected by BURSON COHN & WOLFE (“BCW”) a division of WPP BRANDS (UK) LIMITED (Company Number 390845) whose registered office is at Greater London House, Hampstead Road, London, NW1 7QP. BCW are Hive’s communications agency and are promoting the competition on behalf of Hive.
22. These Terms and Conditions are governed by English law.
© 2019 Centrica Hive Limited (trading as Hive). Registered in England (No. 5782908). Registered office: Millstream, Maidenhead Road, Windsor, Berkshire SL4 5GD. All rights reserved.