Your personal information
The protection of your personal information is important to us. We respect your privacy and want you to understand what we do with the information we hold about you.
Personal information we collect
We may collect the following types of personal information from you when you use Hive services or products:
- Contact details: information that allows us to contact you directly such as your name, email address, telephone number and addresses associated with your account or order.
- Hive account details: when you download and use the Hive app, you will be asked to register with us and create an account. Your account details include your user name, password and your contact details, such as your name, address and email address.
- Transaction information: records of the products and services you purchase from us such as Hive Active Heating, Hive Active Plug, Hive Active Lights, Hive Sensors, Hive Camera and our subscription plans.
- Payment information: credit/debit card details and bank account details you provide to make payment for the products and services you purchase from us.
- Delivery information: information relating to the delivery of our products to you.
- Installation and service history: records relating to the installation of our products at your home or property and information relating to the servicing of that product.
- Device information: information about the smartphones, mobiles, computers or other electronic devices you connect to our products, website or Hive app, such as details about the type of device (which can include unique device identifying numbers), its operating system, the browser you use and applications on the device that connect to our products and services. It can also include details of your internet service provider, mobile network and your IP address.
- Responses to surveys, competitions and promotions: we keep records of any surveys you respond to or your entry into any competition or promotion we run.
- Records of your discussions with our customer support teams: when you share comments and opinions with us, ask us questions or make a complaint we will keep a record of this. This includes when you send us emails, phone our customer service team or contact us through social media such as through Twitter or our Facebook page. We may also monitor and record our phone calls with you to make sure we are living up to the standards we want, as well as relevant laws and regulations.
- How you use Hive products: we will collect information about how you are using Hive products and services in your home and their performance, what devices are connected to them and how those devices are being used with the Hive products. For example, this includes information that smart devices you connect to your Hive Hub collect about rooms’ temperatures, temperature settings, heating schedules, lighting use and schedules, when contact sensors show doors or windows are open or closed, when motion sensors detect movement, water flow events and water temperature, when smartplugs are on or off and video and audio recordings from your monitoring devices.
- How you use the Hive app and our website: when you use the Hive app or our website we collect information about the pages you look at and how you use them.
- Location information: we will collect information about your exact location when you choose to share that with us and motion information from the motion sensors in your Hive products that detect movement in your home. For example, you may set up your Hive app to send you a reminder to turn off your heating when you are out of the house, to do this you will need to share the location of your mobile device with us.
Even when you don’t actively share your location with us, your smartphone or computer's IP address may tell us an approximate location when you connect to our website or products but this will be no more precise than the city, state or country you are using your device in.
You are not required to provide any of the personal information described above to us, however, if you do not do so, you may not be able to use our products and services or the functionality of our products may be reduced.
What we use your personal information for
|Purpose||Personal information used|
|Provide our services to you and maintain your account||All the personal information we collect|
|Take payment for our products and services||Transaction and payment information|
|Deliver products to you||Delivery information|
|Installation and servicing||Installation and service history
How you use Hive products
|Answer your queries or complaints||All the personal information we collect|
|Maintain and improve our products and services||All the personal information we collect|
|Data analytics and statistical research to help us better understand how our products are used in the home and make suggestions and recommendations to you about the use of our products||
|Staff training||All the personal information we collect|
|Develop new products and services||All the personal information we collect|
|Determine products and services that may be of interest to you||All personal information we collect (but not your payment information)|
|Validating referral scheme applications||Contact details|
|Investigating misuse of your account, fraud and debt collection||All the personal information we collect|
We may anonymise and aggregate any of the personal information we hold (so that it does not directly identify you). We may use anonymised and aggregated information for purposes that include testing our IT systems, research, data analysis, improving our site, apps and products and developing new products and services.
Sources we collect your personal information from
We will collect personal information from a number of sources. These include the following:
- Directly from you: for example, when you create your Hive account with us, connect your smartphone or computer to the Hive hub or other Hive products, purchase products and services from us, complete forms we provide to you, enter our competitions and promotions, contact us by phone, email or communicate with us directly in some other way.
- Our website, app and Hive products: provide us with information about how you use them and the devices in your home that you connect to them.
- Other companies we work with: provide us with information to help us deliver our products and services to you, and to understand you better. These include:
- Companies in the same group of companies as us: who may provide relevant information about your gas or electricity account.
- Installers and service engineers: who will provide us with information about the installation and maintenance of Hive products in your home.
- Other companies’ apps and products: provide us with information when you connect them to Hive products and approve their sharing of personal data with us. For example, when you connect to the IFTTT app or Amazon Alexa, we will receive your information about how you use those apps with our Hive products.
Who we share your personal information with
We share personal information with the following parties:
- Companies in the same group of companies as us: for the purpose of providing a service to you and understanding our use of our products and services.
- Other companies’ apps and products: for the purpose of helping you use apps and products you connect to Hive products.
- Installers and service engineers: so that they can book appointments with you and provide installation and product maintenance services.
- Delivery companies: to deliver products that you have ordered from us.
- Other service providers and advisors: such as companies that support our IT, help us analyse the data we hold, process payments, send communications to our customers, provide us with legal or financial advice and generally help us deliver our services to you.
- Market research: occasionally we may ask our market research partners to contact our customers to help us find out how to improve our products and services
- Purchasers of our business: buyers or perspective buyers who we sell or negotiate to sell our business to.
- The Government or our regulators: where we are required to do so by law or to assist with their investigations or initiatives for the energy industry.
- Police and law enforcement: to assist with the investigation and prevention of crime.
Some of our devices can trigger recordings or actions when certain audio or visual events are detected. If you tell us that the software has mis-identified an audio event, we will give a copy of that audio recording, without any accompanying information about you, to our software provider, Audio Analytic, to help improve their detection system. If you choose to take part in product improvement, we will give all audio recordings to Audio Analytic to improve their detection system, again without any accompanying information about you.
We do not disclose personal information to anyone else except as set out above. We may provide third parties with aggregate statistical information and analytics about users of our products and services but we will make sure no one can be identified from this information before we disclose it.
In accordance with the marketing preferences you set when creating your account or that you set with us a later date, we may contact you by email, push notification, text, mail or phone with information about products and services we believe you may be interested in.
If you tell us not to email, push notification, text, mail or phone you with direct market we won’t contact you in that way.
You can let us know at any time that you do not wish to receive marketing messages by sending an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contacting the customer service team by phone or by webchat.
You can also unsubscribe from our marketing emails by clicking on the unsubscribe link in the emails we send to you.
Advertising on other websites and apps
We work with our advertising agencies to show you advertising about our products and services on websites or apps that you visit, at a time and in manner that we feel is relevant to you. To do this, our advertising agencies use anonymised information about the websites, apps, social media content and ads you interact with or view when connected to the Internet, to make sure the advertising you see is more relevant to you.
The Hive app will send service notifications directly to your smartphone or device through the app when we have something important or interesting to make you aware of or you have asked to be notified about certain events relating to your Hive products, e.g. to remind you that your heating is on or when movement is detected in an area of your home.
Depending on the service you choose, you may also receive these notifications by text message or email depending on your preferences.
You can turn off service notifications at any time through the app, your smartphone system settings or your online account.
Transferring your personal information internationally
How long do we keep personal information
We will keep your personal information for as long as you have an account with us. After you close your account with us we will keep your personal information for a reasonable period to maintain our records and legal obligations to you.
For audio and video recordings, we will keep your recordings for the period of time set out in your service plan with us. We will delete your recordings promptly after this period ends.
Your rights in relation to your personal information
You have the following rights in relation to your personal information:
- the right to be informed about how your personal information is being used;
- the right to access the personal information we hold about you;
- the right to opt-out of receiving direct marketing messages;
- the right to request the correction of inaccurate personal information we hold about you; and
- the right to request the blocking or deletion of your personal information where the processing does not comply with applicable data protection laws.
To exercise any of the above rights, or if you have any questions relating to your rights, please contact us by using the details set out in the ‘Contacting us’ section below.
If you are unhappy with the way we are using your personal information you can also complain to the UK Information Commissioner’s Office or your local data protection regulator. We are here to help and encourage you to contact us to resolve your complaint first.
Changes to this notice
We may update this privacy notice from time to time. When we change this notice in a material way, we will update the version date at the bottom of this page. For significant changes to this notice we will try to give you reasonable notice unless we are prevented from doing so. Where required by law we will seek your consent to changes in the way we use your personal information.
In the event of any query or complaint in connection with the information we hold about you, please email us at: email@example.com